My family loves to eat and eat a lot, that's the Filipino in us! With both a newborn and a toddler in demand of my time, meals at the Villa household these days have to be quick and simple without skimping on quality or flavor. So last night's menu was pot roast and vegetables. Served with Jasmine white rice, it gets a little Filipino twist! Here's what you need for a meal that takes little time to prep but delivers a whole lot of yum and satisfaction . . .
20 minutes prep time
4 hrs of "set it and forget it" cooking time
1 chunk (2.5 pounds) beef chuck roast
salt & pepper
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1.5 cups water
2 yellow onions, halved
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pkg ready-to-eat mini carrots
4 celery stalks, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, halved
3 bay leaves
2 cups Jasmine rice (serves about 6), prepared per pkg instructions
(1) Prep onions, garlic, celery, and mushrooms. Set aside.
(2) In a large heavy pot (or if you have a dutch oven), heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.
(3) Trim exess fat off the beef. Salt and pepper the meat on all sides.
(4) Brown the beef on all sides, trying to get a nice crust on the outside.
(5) Pour in the water, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce; then throw in all the veggies and scatter them around the roast.
(6) Put in the bay leaves, and season with rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper.
Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, then "Set it and forget it!"
Let the roast sit for 4 hours, basting it every now-and-then with the sauce & veggies. The roast becomes very fork tender . . . mmmm! Serve with the veggies, and drizzle the pot juices over the roast to keep the meat moist. Plate with a side of white rice and dinner is served!